In this day of hyper electronic communication interview thank you letter by email can often be overlooked and deleted. t’s easy for recruiters and Hiring Managers to get lost in the maze. While I have nothing against emails, texts, tweets, etc., etc. I tend to sometimes forget the advantage of personal touch of an interview thank you letter sent via snail mail, right to the interviewers door. Email lacks personality and effort.
It seems to me that the personal touch of snail mail is becoming the way of the dinosaur. But don’t discount the impact that a hand written interview thank-you letter can have on or influence a situation like an interview.
Interview Thank You Letter via Snail Mail Works
I know a Human Resource Manager with a renewable energy power provider who had set up an interview with three qualified people for a VP level position in her company. All three people interviewed with the CEO of the company. All three did very well.It was going to be a tough decision for the CEO. Two of the candidates sent very appropriate emails to the CEO thanking him for his time and stating their intentions to want to join the company.Those emails were sent the day after the interviews. The third candidate went home and wrote a hand written interview thank you letter on professional looking stationary and sent it out snail mail that day. It also arrived the next day.
Snail Mail Kept Longer than Email for Interview Thank You Letter
Well, as it happened, this CEO was very impressed by the actual hand written letter and was a big believer in the snail mail personal touch. Funny thing is the HR Manager told me she thought it was “old school” and out of touch.
How wrong she was. Suffice to say the third candidate got the offer and accepted the position.
Moral of the story for candidates and recruiters: don’t be so involved in the age of electronic communication as to forget that people still connect with you on a personal level.
This “personal touch” using snail mail tells someone about your customer relationships and your service delivery philosophy, especially in the interview thank-you letter.
- Military Stealth Tech What’s Coming – Looking Ahead - June 12, 2019
- Comprehensive Pre-Employment Background Checks best practices - June 7, 2019
- Improve Talent Acquisition with a Competitive Edge - June 6, 2019
- Top 3 Leadership Skills Desired by Board of Directors - June 5, 2019
- Renewable Jet Fuels Viability in Commercial Flights - June 4, 2019
- Ai Impacts Aerospace Power Management Systems - June 2, 2019
- Meaningful Conversations Proper Email Marketing - May 27, 2019
- Job Boards Pitfalls for Privacy - May 26, 2019
- IFEC Profit Margins Wireless Connectivity for Airlines - May 25, 2019
- Fundamental Leadership Training Key to your Company’s Success - May 22, 2019